Victorian - Tinting on fabic with Prismacolor pencils - Enter with a Glad Heart

Hello friends! This is my latest project of tinting on fabric with Prismacolor pencils. Once again, I used a plain piece of white muslin for my canvas. This time, I thought it would be fun to take pictures as I worked my way through. This project is from a pattern by Juliet Martin from her book Victorian Potpourri (1991).

First, of course, I need to transfer the pattern onto the muslin. I use the Light Tracer light box by Artograph and a Micron 02 (0.30mm) ink pen. You can also tape your pattern and fabric to a window and do your tracing that way. 

Be sure to click on the pictures to see more detail!

Here I've completed the tracing.

Since this is a very "busy" pattern with lots of different elements, I thought I should lightly color in the different colored areas so that I didn't end up coloring something the wrong color. Here I have lightly colored in all the roses.

Next I lightly colored in the ribbon and the girl's hair.

Then all of the leaves...........

Next up....I lightly colored in all the the background of the heart.

In this step, I lightly colored in the "glad" heart. So now......time for shading. In this picture you can see that I have done the shading on the left side of the background.

And then the right side.

In this picture you can see that I have done the shading of the leaves on the left side of the girl, while the leaves on the right side are waiting to be shaded. Quite a difference, isn't there?

Here I have shaded all the leaves.

Here you can see that I have begun to shade the roses. Now they start to actually look like roses!

And now all the roses are shaded.

Next I shaded the "glad" heart and then re-shaded all the roses and the "glad" heart with a darker color. I lightly colored her lips.
Here I have begun to shade the hair.

And then shaded again with a darker brown.

Here I have lightly colored her face, shaded the face, added some pink to her cheeks and some ink lines to her hair to better refine it. I've also finished the shading on the doves.

This picture was taken with the flash turned on, so it looks a little lighter and actually represents the colors as they actually are.

The only thing left to do now is the ribbon!
And there you have it! All finished!
I'm so glad you stopped by...
Have a great day...

1 comment:

  1. I can only imagine the patience that took and the amount of time. The finished product is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for showing us how to do it. Wish I was young again, I'd try it, but hands too wobbly now to do what I did 25 or 30 years ago when I used to stamp and hand color pictures for cards that I made with the poems I wrote. This sure would have been a beautiful one. Blessings my dear. Handmaiden Dotty