Baby Grace and the Ballerina Bunny Fiasco

Baby Grace turned one year old in November and the theme of her birthday party was .....a tea party!

I wanted to make something special for her birthday since she is my sixth and last grandchild, so I went looking through my stash to see what I could find.

I have soooooo much stash of every type of craft that it took awhile, but I found a Daisy Kingdom Ballerina Bunny fabric panel still in the original package. Now I don't think they have made any of these is years and years so I was glad I had held onto it.

Here's a picture of the bunny and her tiny ballerina bunny that came on the same panel.  I made this about a week before her party and had it sitting on some boxes in my bedroom. Now I have three dogs, two parti schnauzers (Ricky and Lucy) and a terrier (Cachie). The two schnauzers are about a year old and are very sweet and gentle dogs. It never occured to me that the bunnies would attract the dogs attention, because they NEVER try to bother, sniff or get any of my things.
Especially if they are sitting up on something that is not within their eye level. So, I come walking down the hall a few days after the bunnies are made and I see Ricky with something in his mouth. I kinda looked as I walked by him and thought, hmmm, what's that? So I got a little closer and OMG it was the tiny bunny, except it was just the body with the legs still attached. No arms, no ears, no clothes. I took it from him and ran to the living room and sure enough, there were all the parts scattered on the floor in pieces. I had no idea if I would be able to salvage and remake the tiny bunny, but it was so cute I sure wanted to give it a try. 

I gathered all the bits and pieces and started to work on it. Luckily, he had not quite gotten to destroy everything. The arms were intact, just not attached. The skirt was a long rectangle of fabic. The sleeves were slightly ripped in one spot, but fixable. The ears were not attached to the bunny, but were undamaged. The little rose buds were ruined, but easily replaceable. As you can see from the pictures, I did get it remade and only I can see the flaws from the Ricky fiasco.

My daughter and I, along with Grace, dressed the part of going to a tea party. We went to the thrift store and found hats and dresses for my daughter and I, and I made some rolled fabric roses to go on my hat. Grace's outfit is new and very sweet, but we couldn't get her to smile for the picture!

Comments

Popular Posts